You’ve likely had your daycare or primary aged child come home covered from head-to-toe and thought “how do I remove common stains from kids’ clothing?” But if you’re anything like us and you’re part of the 8 out of 10 Australians that don’t care for our clothing properly (Nature Garment Care Study, 2023) then you probably need some help.
Here’s a quick-tip guide for how to remove common stains from kids’ clothing.
How to remove common stains from your kids’ clothing
How do I remove chocolate from clothing?
- Use a butter knife or spoon to remove any solid bits of chocolate from the fabric
- Rinse with cold water (hot or warm water can set the stain)
- Apply strain remover treatment and allow the garment to sit for 5 minutes
- Soak for 15 minutes in cold water and then rinse the stain
- Wash as normal
How do I remove crayon from clothing?
- You will need to harden the wax again by putting an ice pack on the crayon wax for about 30 minutes, until it solidifies
- Scrape off as much solid crayon wax from the fabric with a dull knife. Be careful not to push the crayon deeper in the fabric fibres
- Soak the fabric in warm water and oxygen-based bleach for at least 30 minutes
- Wash on a high heat water setting and naturally dry, repeat the process if the stains remove
How do I remove spaghetti sauce from clothing?
- Lift as much mince, sauce and spaghetti off the garment with a spoon
- Run the clothing item under cold water for 10-15 minutes on the opposite side of the stain
- Work in a liquid detergent or dish soap (yes it works wonders!) until the stain is no longer visible and set for 10 minutes, rinse and let dry naturally
- If stain is still visible use a spray or stain remover
- Wash on cold setting
How do I wash clothing after a nappy explosion?
- Remove excess solids into your toilet
- Soak in warm soapy water for a couple of hours
- Our recommendation is to wash the garment (cloth nappies or clothes) separately to other washing
- Wash at a hotter water temperature, our recommendation is a 60-degree cycle
- You may want to use a sensitive detergent as these garments are going on your baby/child’s delicate skin
- Line dry where possible
How do I remove vomit from clothing?
- Scrape off excess vomit
- Flush the area with cold water
- Pre-treat with a prewash stain remover
- Launder using the hottest water safe for the fabric
- Skip the clothes until you’re sure the stain is completely removed
How do I remove grass stains from clothing?
- Brush away loose dirt, clumps of grass with your hands or laundry brush (you can use an old toothbrush or nail brush too)
- As grass is a protein stain, it should be treated with an enzymatic stain treatment. Use your laundry brush to gently work the treatment into the stain to penetrate and break down the stain
- Wash in cold water on a regular cycle
- Check if stain is removed, if not, repeat the process above
How do I remove mud from clothing?
- Brush away any clumps of hardened mud with a laundry brush
- Immediately apply a pre-treatment or stain remover to the stain, let it soak in for 10 minutes
- Agitate the garment in warm water to loosen the mud
- Machine wash as usual
How do I remove blood (wet or dry) from clothing?
- Rinse the stain immediately with cold water
- Soak the garment in cold to warm water mixed with detergent for 15 minutes
- Remove from soaking and dab the stain with household ammonia if the stain persists
Samsung’s new Bespoke range of Laundry appliances deliver smart and eco-conscious laundry solutions. Sporting five-star energy ratings and design-forward innovation, the Bespoke AI™ Laundry delivers intelligent washing capabilities to simplify cleaning routines.
GUIDE BY: Samsung spokesperson
For more information: