RECIPE: Andrea Geddes, The Cooking Collective
These muffins are so delicious and packed with nutritious vegetables like zucchini, carrot and spinach. Golden, cheesy and full of savoury bacon and cheese flavour, they are also freezer-friendly and made in just one bowl!
Perfect for a mid-morning snack, sandwich substitute or lunchbox filler that both kids and adults will love.
2 cups self-raising flour
2 cups shredded cheese – use fresh tasty/cheddar
cheese rather than pre-packaged shredded cheese
1 cup grated carrot
2 cups spinach leaves roughly chopped
1⁄2 cup grated zucchini – don’t squeeze out the
1 1⁄2 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 cup bacon finely chopped
1⁄2 cup feta cheese crumbled
There are no fancy steps in this recipe. Everything gets thrown together in one bowl and stirred. That’s it! Perfect for minimal dishes and clean up.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 °C/356 F and use a light oil spray to line enough muffin trays to make 16 muffins. (Or, use less trays and bake in batches). I recommend using silicone trays for easy removal at the end.
2. Place all of the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and stir until completely combined.
3. Using a spoon, evenly divide the muffin mixture into the greased muffin trays. You should get 16 muffins.
4. Bake for around 15 minutes, or until the muffins are completely cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool. Serve hot or cold. Enjoy!
What is the secret to moist muffins?
In these savoury muffins, the moisture comes from the eggs, along with the grated zucchini and carrot. If substituting or adding your own vegetables, I recommend leaving in the zucchini or carrot to keep them moist.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- While they taste like a completely irresistible bacon and cheese muffin, they are packed full of veggies like carrot, zucchini and spinach. Customise them to suit the vegetables available at home!
- Freezer friendly – make a double batch and keep them in the freezer, ready for a convenient snack or lunch box filler, any time!
Andrea Geddes is a food obsessed mum of four who is always thinking about her next meal. She loves to help busy families save time and money in the kitchen by offering simple, fresh and affordable family food from scratch. At The Cooking Collective, you will find fast and affordable weeknight meals for busy families, healthy lunchbox recipes, simple recipes made from scratch using everyday ingredients, tips and fun recipes to cooking with kids of all ages, delicious dessert recipes and more! You can find more ideas and inspiration in her Facebook group, Healthy Lunchboxes Australia.