WORDS: Deanna Zacharia, The Sorted Home
However, as we all know, a successful beach day requires some serious organisation to make sure it’s all fun in the sun and not meltdowns in the sand!
As a fellow beach-loving mum who is married to a kite surfer, I’ve been down this sandy path a time or two, and have mastered the art of organised beach outings.
So, grab your sun hat, slather on some sunscreen, and let’s get into the ultimate packing list for a stress-free summer day at the beach!
The ultimate guide to packing for a family day at the beach:
First things first, you need to pack like a pro. A successful beach day lies in the preparation. Here’s a list of must-haves to make sure you’re ready for anything.
- Beach bag – Choose a spacious and water resistant beach bag with a pocket to keep things organised.
- Beach mat and towels – Pack enough towels for the whole family! Oversized beach towels are a great option as they provide more room for lounging, as do sand free-beach mats.
- Sunscreen – It goes without saying, but don’t forget the sunscreen and hats to keep your family’s skin safe from those scorching rays.
- Swimsuits and rashies – Make sure everyone’s swimsuits are packed and ready to go. Don’t forget cover-ups for those post-swim strolls and beachside snacks.
- Extra clothes – Bringing a change of dry clothes for everyone is a lifesaver. Nobody wants to drive home in wet, sandy clothes!
- Beach toys – Keep the kids entertained with beach toys like buckets, shovels, and inflatable floaties. It’s also a good idea to bring some sports balls, a cricket set, frisbee or boogie boards for some family fun.
- Shade essentials – A beach umbrella or pop-up tent is a must for some shade. Your family will appreciate having a cool spot to retreat to when the sun gets too intense.
- Beach chairs – Lightweight, foldable beach chairs can make lounging by the water so much more comfortable.
- Beach-ready baby supplies – If you have little ones, pack essentials like baby sunscreen, swim nappies, and a portable seat.
- Garbage bags – Keep the beach clean by bringing along a few garbage bags for your own waste.
- Beach cart – A foldable beach cart is a serious game changer! Pop all of your items in the cart (even the kids!) It’s perfect for lugging all of your gear from the car to the shoreline!
Now that you’ve got your beach gear sorted, it’s time to prepare your esky (cooler) with snacks and drinks to keep everyone fuelled and hydrated throughout the day.
Grab a bag of ice on your way and you’ll be good to go!
- Hydration is key – Fill a few drink bottles with ice-cold water. Staying hydrated in the sun is crucial.
- Fresh fruit & veggies –Pack a variety of fruits like grapes, watermelon, and apples. They’re refreshing and easy to share. Cut up cucumbers, carrots and throw in a tub of dip.
- Sandwiches or wraps – Pre-made sandwiches or wraps are quick and easy options for lunch. You can customise them to suit everyone’s tastes.
- Snack packs – Create individual snack packs with items like nuts, trail mix, and muesli bars. This way, everyone can grab their own favourite snacks when hunger strikes.
- Frozen treats – Freeze some yoghurt tubes, throw in some ice blocks, or frozen grapes to keep your family cool and satisfied.
- Refreshing drinks – Bring a mix of refreshing drinks like lemonade, iced tea, kombucha or sparkling water. They’ll help keep your crew refreshed and energised.
Deanna’s must-have beach products
To make your beach day trip a success, there are a few items you may want to invest in. They do require an initial expense but will pay off big time in convenience!
Sunday beach umbrella – Timeless beach umbrellas with premium finishes. UPF 50+ premium fabric, water and fade resistant, exclusive prints, 100% cotton tassels. // sundaysupply.co
Coolcabanas tent – There’s a reason it’s called ‘the world’s best beach shelter’. This tent is incredibly easy to set up (2 mins), provides plenty of shade (double the shade of an umbrella) and is strong in the wind. Not to mention there are plenty of colours to choose from. // coolcabanas.com.au
A foldable cart with big, wide wheels is a must-have accessory for the beach this summer. Perfect for lugging all of your gear from the car to the shoreline, avoiding trips back and forth. // bohemianbright.com.au
Waterproof phone pouch
Protect your smartphone from water, sand, and sunscreen smudges with a waterproof pouch.
Portable phone charger
You don’t want your phone dying when you’re trying to capture those precious beach memories!
Sand-free beach mat
A soft and lightweight beach mat that’s sand free! These mats filter sand and dirt, repel water and drink spills and easily fold into a small bag, making it the perfect addition for your beach day. // somerside.com.au
If you’re feeling extra adventurous, consider a portable grill for delicious beachside BBQs! Don’t forget to pack a large food container with utensils like tongs, cutlery, picnic plates and paper towels.
Remember, a successful beach day with the family is all about being prepared. With the right gear, a well-stocked esky, and a bit of organisation, you can make sure your beach day is smooth, fun, and stress-free.
The key is having everything you need, so you can focus on building sandcastles, splashing in the waves, and making unforgettable memories with your family.
For more information: