How does it affect your baby? The Begin Better Study is here to find out.
The Begin Better Randomised Controlled Trial is a research study that aims to understand whether improving a woman’s health before pregnancy – by changing behaviours related to physical activity and diet – will improve health outcomes for both mum and baby.
Women above a healthy weight range are at increased risk of some pregnancy complications; including high blood pressure, gestational diabetes and caesarean birth. Their babies are also at a greater risk of some complications and poorer health throughout their lifetime.
Researchers want to find out whether the best way to reduce the health risks associated with being overweight is to improve a woman’s physical and mental health prior to pregnancy by making positive lifestyle changes.
Participants in the Begin Better Study will be randomly allocated to either the Lifestyle Intervention Group or the Educational Control Group.
ALL WOMEN WHO PARTICIPATE WILL RECEIVE:
- Clinic appointments with research staff
- Health recommendations for pregnancy planning with our study Midwife
- Access to the specifically developed study website
- Up to two years of follow up, and if pregnancy occurs in this time, information collected about the pregnancy, birth, and infant development until 18 months of age.
LIFESTYLE INTERVENTION GROUP PARTICIPANTS WILL ALSO RECEIVE:
- Counselling from a Dietitian
- 6 months of health coaching