Prep time: 30 minutes + chilling time
Cook time: 25 minutes
▪ 375gpack Caréme spelt puff pastry
▪ 1 egg, beaten for glaze
▪ 1tbsp seasame seeds
▪ 1small red onion, peeled & quartered
▪ 1 clove garlic, crushed
▪ 1 long red chilli, deseeded & chopped
▪ 1/4cup fresh mint leaves
▪ 1tsp dried mint leaves
▪ 2tsp ras el hanout
▪ 500g lamb mince
▪ 1 egg, lightly whisked
▪ 1/3cup fresh breadcrumbs
▪ 1/3cup dried apricots, chopped
▪ salt flakes & freshly ground black pepper
Yoghurt & Harissa Sauce
▪ 1/2cup Greek style yoghurt
▪ 1tsp harissa
▪ 1tsp mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced) and lightly grease baking trays and line with baking paper.
- For the sausage filling, place onion, garlic, chilli, mint and Ras el Hanout into a food processor, pulsing until finely chopped. Add the lamb, egg, breadcrumbs, apricots, salt and pepper, pulsing until just combined.
- Place pastry sheet on a lightly floured work surface, cut in half lengthways, to create two equal sized rectangles.
- Evenly divide the sausage filling in half, shape like a sausage, placing down the centre of each pastry rectangle; making sure pastry is able to encase the mixture. Firmly bring one long side of the pastry up against the sausage meat and lightly brush the pastry with egg. Repeat with other side by firmly bringing the remaining pastry up and over the glazed pastry, creating a seal. This will be tight and there should be a 1cm overlap.
- Place sausage rolls on a prepared baking tray (seam side down) and brush outside with egg glaze and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine yoghurt and harissa together in a small bowl, stirring until well combined. Sprinkle over mint and set aside for later.
- Cut each large sausage into eight equal portions and snip each top three times, to create air holes. Evenly spread sausage rolls onto prepared baking trays.
- Place sausage rolls in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until pastry is cooked through and golden. Allow sausage rolls to cool slightly before serving.
- Serve sausage rolls with yoghurt and harissa sauce.
For more recipes from the Adelaide Central Market: