When it comes to feeding breakfast to active, growing kids, it’s important to include a number of energy-boosting yet delicious recipes in your repertoire to set them up for the day ahead. To keep your child sustained until lunchtime, you should be looking at options that contain good quality carbohydrates, protein and healthy fats.
Leading dietitian and Mayver’s ambassador, Susie Burrell is here to help with her five suggestions for energy-boosting breakfast recipes:
Almond Butter French Toast Stacks
2 tbsp Mayver’s Almond Butter
2 eggs, whisked
1/3 cup skim milk
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Cooking oil spray
4 slices high protein bread
2 small bananas, thickly sliced, lengthways
1/2 fresh pomegranate, arils removed
- Place the eggs, skim milk and cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Whisk well.
- Lightly spray a large fry pan with cooking oil. Dip one slice of bread into the egg mixture. Turn to coat well and then place in the frypan. Repeat for a second slice. Cook the slices for 1-2 minutes each side or until golden brown. Remove and cover. Repeat with the remaining two slices.
- To assemble the sandwich stacks, divide the almond butter between two slices of french toast. Spread to cover, then divide the sliced banana and pomegranate arils between the two slices. Top with another slice of french toast.
- Return the French toast sandwiches to the pan and cook for 1 minute each side. Serve.
Banana Bread Porridge
½ cup rolled oats
½ tbsp chia seeds
¾ cup almond milk
1 tbsp Mayver’s Crunchy Peanut Butter
1 tsp raw honey
- Mash 2/3 of the banana and slice the remaining 1/3.
- In a saucepan over low-medium heat, add the oats, chia seeds, almond milk and mashed banana. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a splash more liquid if required to reach your desired consistency.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl.
- Top with the sliced banana and peanut butter.
- Drizzle over the raw honey to serve.
Probiotic Peanut Butter Smoothie
2 tbsp Mayver’s Probiotic Super Peanut Butter
1/2 cup frozen mango
1 frozen banana
1 cup milk of choice
1 tsp maca powder
- Place all ingredients into a high speed blender.
- Blend ingredients until smooth.
- Pour into glass and enjoy!
Peanut Butter Oat Pancakes
½ cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. cinnamon
½ cup oats
½ cup Mayver’s 100% Smooth Peanut Butter
½ cup milk
Oil for cooking
½ banana, mashed and ½ to serve
- Combine dry ingredients well, before adding the wet ingredients.
- Combine until moist batter is formed.
- Over a hot pan, spoon 2-3 tbsp. of mixture and cook each side for 1-2 mins.
- Serve with banana and drizzle with a syrup of your choice
Peanut Butter Brekkie Muffins
1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour, sifted
1 cup oats
1 tsp. bicarb soda
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup honey or alternate sweetener
1/2 cup Mayver’s Protein+ Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Greek yoghurt
1/4 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
Coconut or pepitas for topping
1. Combine dry ingredients.
2. Combine yoghurt, mashed banana, vanilla, egg, Greek yoghurt peanut butter and honey.
3. Combine wet and dry ingredients and place mixture in lined muffin tin.
4. Top with a sprinkle of coconut and bake at 180deg for 15-20min until browned.