JODI LEE FOUNDATION MOTHER’S DAY BRUNCH FOR BOWEL CANCER PREVENTION
The Jodi Lee Foundation this week launched a new initiative for Mother’s Day – a way to celebrate the mum at the table and the mum in our hearts.
The Jodi Lee Foundation encourages Australians to participate in this fundraiser by either hosting a Mother’s Day brunch in the month of May at home or celebrating at your local eatery with your family and friends and collecting donations for this worthwhile and special cause.
Honour mothers who have been impacted by bowel cancer
It’s a special way to honour mothers who have been impacted by bowel cancer and particularly those who have lost their lives to bowel cancer, which is the second most common cause of cancer-related deaths in Australia.
Funds raised will assist the Jodi Lee Foundation continue to spread awareness about bowel cancer prevention and to deliver other services to the community, such as their Workplace Program and online symptom checker.
Prizes to win
Hosts who raise over $300 for the Foundation with their Jodi Lee Foundation Mother’s Day Brunch will go in the draw to win a beautiful diamond pendant from Mazzucchelli’s valued at $1,129. The pendant is part of the ‘Every Child is a Diamond’ collection where the movement of the diamond in the middle of the pendant is designed to represent the heartbeat of each child.
More than 15,000 people are diagnosed with bowel cancer each year. The Jodi Lee Foundation educates the community about the importance of screening from age 50, acting quickly on symptoms and living a healthy lifestyle for the prevention and early detection of bowel cancer – because if detected early, over 99% of bowel cancers can be successfully treated.
For Jodi Lee Foundation Community Engagement Manager, Samantha Herbut, this cause is extremely close to her heart.
“Since my mum’s passing, I always find this time difficult, especially given it is also a few days before her birthday. By being a part of this initiative and raising awareness, it helps to heal old wounds and take time to honour my mum. It makes me feel like I am doing something I know she would be proud of. On 17 November 2017 my mum Billie passed away from bowel cancer. Overall, I really admire how positive and strong she was throughout the last four years.”
A focus on prevention
Aside from raising funds and honouring those impacted by bowel cancer and those who we have tragically lost to bowel cancer, the Foundation is hoping that the Jodi Lee Foundation Mother’s Day Brunch also raises awareness around ways people can prevent bowel cancer – being healthy and active, taking a screening test, acting on symptoms and also exploring your family history.
If there is a history of bowel cancer in your family, you may be at increased risk. Regardless of your age, consult your GP to understand your risk and discuss bowel screening methods best suited to your situation.
Through the support of Woodside Cheese Wrights and Woodstock Wines, participating hosts also have the option to place an order with the Jodi Lee Foundation to purchase a hamper to help make their brunch even more special.
How to participate:
- Visit the Jodi Lee Foundation website to register your Jodi Lee Foundation Mother’s Day Brunch. Registration is free.
- Set a fundraising target and ask people to donate towards your Jodi Lee Foundation Mother’s Day Brunch.
- Raise donations from people attending your brunch or spread the word to people who are unable to attend using your personal fundraising link upon registration.
- Once registered, you will receive printable posters and social media graphics to promote your fundraiser.
- For $150, kick start your brunch by purchasing a cheese + wine hamper from our friends at Woodside Cheese Wrights and Woodstock Wines. The hamper includes five cheeses (Monet, Buffalo Feta, Brie, Triple Cream, Bush Buffalo), crackers, quince paste and a bottle of Woodstock ‘Twiggy’ Blanc de Blancs Sparkling. Refrigerated hamper delivery across Australia is also included. The cut off-for hamper registration is 7 business days prior to your brunch.
- Hosts who raise over $300 for the Foundation with their Jodi Lee Foundation Mother’s Day Brunch will go in the draw to win an ‘Every Child is a Diamond’ pendant from Mazzucchelli’s valued at $1,129.
Australia’s second biggest cancer killer
As the Jodi Lee Foundation celebrates its 10th year, Founder and Chair Nick Lee, who lost Jodi Lee, his wife and mother of his two children to bowel cancer at the age of 41, is hoping people will host a Jodi Lee Foundation Mother’s Day Brunch to raise funds and help eliminate bowel cancer, “Over these ten years, we’ve saved many lives by raising awareness and educating the community about Australia’s second biggest cancer killer – bowel cancer.”
The Jodie Lee Foundation also raises funds through other events throughout the year, including The JLF Trek. On 22 May, the Jodi Lee Foundation will formally celebrate its 10th anniversary with a Gala at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre.
For full event details and to register: